November 14, 2009

Snow Day!

So we got a lot done this morning before the snow started... but alas I'm still feeling like I'm losing my weekend.

Bekah's God-momma Honey came over and cut Bekah's this hair this weekend (we had a very entertaining Friday night... mwa ha ha)


Bekah no longer has a mullet. Praise the Gods! :) And as Honey reminded me twice... she is certified to cut hair. What a wonderful woman that Honey... we just love her to pieces..

Today I am making Pear and Blue Cheese soup. It is magnificent and I dare you to try it. I guarantee you will love it! I got the recipe from a chef at a restaurant we went to once, he just kind of walked me through it real quick and I wrote it down while it was in my head... Yummy yum yum!

Pear and Blue Cheese Soup:

4-6 Bosch pears (depending on size) very ripe and soft.
1 stick of butter
half an onion (or a small onion) diced
two stalks of celery diced thin
1/2 cup flour
Two 14 oz cans of Chicken Broth
Salt
Pepper
1/2 pint half and half (this you can use more or less based on your tastes... or use cream or whole milk)
1 cup blue cheese (I just buy a small tub and use it all)

Core and slice the pears (leave skin or not) and saute in the butter with the onion and celery. Let saute until the pears are softened. Then add the flour and mix (making a rou) and let the flour cook out the raw taste (about 2 minutes or so) then add the chicken broth. Stir well until the flour mixture dissolves into the broth. Add a dash of salt and pepper (I use low sodium chicken broth so it needs a bit of salt, with the regular stuff you may not)

At this point you can let it cook for a while, about 20-30 minutes or so to let the flavors truly meld, or once warm move on to the next step.

Now, with a stick blender (or in your food processor), blend the soup in the pan gently (to keep from splashing too much) and puree the soup mixture. Add half and half and blue cheese, and let get back up to temperature.

Viola.

I dare you to try!!

2 comments:

Tony "danger" Morrey said...

Im not sure how I feel about blue cheese, chicken broth and pears in the same bowl. but I'll try it. is the chicken broth acctually for flavor? or just as a replacement for white wine?

Toners said...

A little of both I think. This is how the chef gave me the recipe, but this is a family kind of down-home place. It's really quite good, and the chicken broth doesn't overpower at all. Definitely use the reduced sodium though... it makes a big difference.